Thursday, January 18, 2007

Well, today was a bit miserable. It is very, very cold - we went to the Maritime Museum and I parked about a block away. James' little cheeks matched his snow suit after about 10 minutes. Although all the Nova Scotians say this is unusual - I'm not sure I believe them.

The Maritime Museum was quite nice - for a taste of what we saw visit their website. There were real small boats (canoes, sail boats and dinghies on) the first floor, models of large steamships on the next floor. They had really nice exhibitions on shipwrecks (between 1850 and 1900 there were over 4,200 wrecks around the coast of Nova Scotia), on the Titanic (many of the victims were buried here in Halifax) and on the Halifax explosion which destroyed a huge amount of the city.
At the entrance there was a guy making model ships and a diorama with figures less than half a centimeter tall -and a parrot called Merlin who was quite beautiful.
Tonight I made my first foray into the world. unaccompanied by children. There is a knitting store/cafe here called The Loop and they do a get-together on Thursday nights. There were 6 people there, including me (2 guys & 4 women). They have /beautiful/ yarn. I bought a couple of skeins to make some mittens (which I sorely need). They are knitted on four needles and I think I over-stretched myself - I got the rib done twice but can't figure out how to do the knitting part - it comes out pearl instead. Apparently I am holding the needles wrongly but don't understand why. (Help, Christian!)
Well after going to bed easily with Neil - Chloe has popped up again. Phooeee. He's taking her off to watch Casablanca. Much love, Sue

No comments: