Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tuesday

Wish us luck. We are starting the bedtime routine before 8pm – let's hope it works!

Today the promised snow did not arrive. When I got out of the house at 7 to walk there was gently falling freezing rain. It's put a thin, hard layer of ice over the snow. Chloe was quite upset – she kept saying “but snow's supposed to be fluffy.” I walked further and faster today- even though the conditions were bad.

Walking has been very interesting. Where in South Carolina everyone makes eye contact and might wave, here nobody does, unless it's inadvertent (or you're with children). I have been trying quite hard to catch people's eyes but they have perfected this amazing gaze off in the distance stare. It's very odd and contrasts with their general kindness. In stores (the two I've been in so far) the people have been delightful and the drivers are the most considerate of pedestrians of any place I have ever been. This latter part is essential as it was really, really difficult to negotiate the slushy, slippery snow this morning. On each corner water, ice and snow had accumulated to the amount of 6-8 inches, or even more- thank goodness I bought boots yesterday!

I took the kids to the Discovery Center downtown today. It's OK- I joined so we'll spend a good bit of time there I imagine. There are four main places like this for us to visit and if the weather keeps up like this they will be my default playgrounds: The Maritime Museum, The Natural History Museum and the Art Gallery. I am uploading most of our photos to Snapfish but will put a few here, too. I might be behind because I'm using Neil's computer and practically mug him for it as he walks through the door.

He seems to be doing well- he didn't know what to expect at all, I don't think. He seems to be enjoying it so far- sitting around and doing math, which I haven't seen in a while.

C & J and I went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch- the best egg rolls I've had in AGES. On the way back to the parking lot the kids decided to play in every planter, in the snow of course. Their last trick was to put their heads into the snow all the way along one planter- much to the amusement of passers -by! (of course I took photos - they will appear later).

Well- Chloe's gone to sleep- about 8.15 but James is still up and it's ten o'clock again, no nap for him tomorrow!! I'm sleepy and still have to upload photos while I can. Love to everyone!! E-mail me, please when you can.


No comments: