Friday, January 26, 2007

Hey Y'all



To everyone who has e-mailed me and then heard nothing back, here's the deal. Apparently Earthlink- who we pay good money to for our e-mail account- is losing mail. There is no "this mail has bounced message" it just disappears into the ether. So I am desperate to hear from everybody ... please keep writing and telling me about your worlds. In the meantime we are using a gmail account, just in case, carowatts@gmail.com.

Enough of that - after yesterday's heat wave of 19 degrees F, today, with windchill, it was 27 below, centigrade. I really should learn conversions .... but it is enough to know I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. Sleeping here is even more difficult than at home!! Believe it or not! Neil and I are sharing a very comfortable double bed- and as you can imagine when two little people sneak in in the middle of the night we sorely miss our king-sized bed.

After discovering the Dalplex I was resolved to go to step aerobics at 7 am this morning. However, I realised I have no sneakers so had to postpone til Monday, darn!
Today we took it easy and had a craft day. We dyed wool with Kool-Aid. It turned out really well - we made red, orange, purple and green. I'm not sure what we'll do with it, but it's lovely.

Food. One of the good things about being here is the access to British foods. Pete's Frootique has Curly Wurlys and Orange Jaffa Cakes, yummy. And many other kinds of English sweets and biscuits- I try and restrain myself. I have discovered Solomon Grundy, which I like, a Nova Scotian treat of pickled Herring and onions and Neil bought some Maple Smoked Salmon today, which was awesome on a salad with pecans. Did I mention the bread ... and gingerbread, from this lovely bakery next to the grocery store.

The kids like Pete's for ... riding the escalators! They could do it for ever, I think.

We went to a second hand book store today, which made me long for McClures. It was absolutely packed to the gills with books, on shelves and in piles all over the place. There were tons and tons to chose from , but impossible to find much of anything. It was also quite expensive. I managed to find some British things, of course, but I miss Kathi!!

Here are the kids up high at Dalplex - Chloe's head and James's foot- and on the ground- they really played beautifully together. Chloe has been bugging us to go swimming, so we shall tomorrow - I'm afraid its going to be cold, unlike Central Rec.












Here are a couple of pictures from Ross Family Farm - this lady was tatting a teeny, tiny snow shoe about 2 inches long by 1 inch across. She also gave us hot chocolate from the stove- which was yummy.

No comments: