Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sunday: Ross Farm


Today we set off by ourselves into the interior. It was a cold and blustery day, the wolves were howling as we left civilization ... no, those were children and they came along. We went to visit Ross Farm (above)- a living history museum. The house was built in the early 1800s and is operated to showcase Nova Scotia's rural past. We had so much fun- we got to take a sleigh ride - pulled by Canadian Horses. A breed celebrated for its ability to work hard and live on little amounts of food, dubbed "The Little Iron Horse". The breed almost died out, but the farm has an active breeding program. Here is more than you ever might have wanted to know about the breed (but very interesting).

We went because they were having an exhibition of snow show making. I took a series of pictures of which I am quite proud ... the first one is the best (I think). The ash wood is steamed over a fire and then bent in a mold to make the snowshoe.





The (nearly) finished product is beautiful ...

No comments: