Saturday, May 08, 2010

Birds- elusive little buggers.

My first day birding in Tremont. I slept terribly. I was exhausted but worried about oversleeping, so I finally gave in and got up at 5am. It was very quiet!! It was still hot when I left the dorm- we had been promised coolness. As we ate breakfast the rain started and by the time we left for Sugarlands, our birding destination, the temperature had dropped about 15 degrees!

Despite a rough start I think I might have sort of managed to maybe learn to identify some birds by sound - whether I can retain this elusive knowledge is another matter. We heard a black-throated green warbler, a Perula warbler, Red Eyed Vireo, Louisiana Waterthrush, Blue Headed Vireo, Ovenbird, and an Arcadian Flycatcher - most of these I'd never heard of, let alone seem before. Hoping I can break the code and understand bird-talk, and not end up cuckoo!

No comments: