Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What a week!

After the excitement of Chloe's birthday celebrations and the Thursday night potluck Neil took off for a supercomputing conference in NOLA. He got to go to the aquarium, fancy restaurants, and to Cafe Du Monde. I went roller skating and fell on my bum. This has made the week a bit of a blur.

It was not just any old fall, it was a spectacular legs up in the air, suspended for a brief second or two and falling full force with my huge overweight self on my keister. I lay there stunned for a minute- not able to move. Chloe and a passing man kept asking "are you alright" and me saying "no, no, no.... ok yes, if that's what you want to hear." I crawled off to the side like a hermit crab and lay moaning for a good few minutes til a young man came over to make sure I wasn't going to sue them. Actually I was disoriented and didn't realize then why he was so concerned and slightly overly familiar... he really was very kind and sweet. It is clear that an overweight 45 year old woman has no business roller skating, especially when her husband is out of town and there is noone to drive the van when she is in excruciating pain.

No comments: