The past month has flown by. We are in the middle of the rainiest Spring I can remember - we've been up here 10 plus years and usually by this time I begin worrying about water. Not this year. We have had massive rainstorms almost every day for a couple of weeks.
Yesterday I decided I was going to work in the front garden - I am in the process of reducing the grass in favor of flower beds. I'm suprised it's taken me 10+ years to think of this. Every day I walk out of the house to the car (10-20 times a day) I am able to check the progress of everything- pick a couple of weeds and see a Cardinal or Chickadee at the feeder. For me it is heaven - especially since it is a contained area. Whenever I go out back there are always so many things to attend to (outside the vegetable beds) that I get very overwhelmed.
However, in the back my vegetable production is spreading. Junior, our yard guy, roto-tilled a new bed for me last year in the back left of the garden. Last year I planted corn (unsuccessfully) and the additional basil I just had to have because the 50 seedlings I'd grown looked too little to sustain us. This year I have onions and garlic there, planted in November, and potatoes planted a couple of weeks ago are up! It is so magical to go out and see a row of plants in a neat line.
This year I planted to corn in a raised bed in hills - I'm going to try adding beans later and maybe squash - a la a Three Sister's Garden. Thank goodness we don't depend on the garden for sustainance- I'm not sure this was the best use of space.
I so enjoyed the green beans that we grew last year- I can't wait to get started on them again.
The peas are up now and they are yummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment