Saturday, July 05, 2008

Post July 4th

Yesterday was the great annual 4th of July bash at our house. It's nearly five am and I've been up since three. I went to bed early after the party having not eaten much of the extensive food on offer - but managing to have more than one glass of wine. Thus failing Party 101. Just to tickle your taste buds, or bore you to tears, here are a few highlights: Neil - Paella, vegetarian chili, chick-pea dal, and yummy chocolate roulade . The roulade caused a near riot in the kitchen.
One of my favorite moments in the party was watching Pam (mum) and Annabelle (fairy-like two year old) sharing a piece of roulade (despite being nicked named a giant ho-ho by one of our friends, this is a very rich and quite sophisticated desert of chocolate and whipped cream). Annabelle insisting "i hold it" and Pam protesting "no I'll hold it" - I think Annabelle won.
We are so fortunate in our friends. Even though the opportunities to visit with people were limited, in the general confusion and "doingness" of the event, it gave me a warm glow to have such wonderful people there. I think people enjoyed it .... I did.

Back to the food- of course. My turn. I made guacamole- which almost all went - and Black Bean Salsa - which didn't. Both of these are from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, usually the bean dip is a favorite but this time it didn't seem to be a hit- too much competition, perhaps. Since I love deserts this is where I concentrated my energies - to excess of course. I love Maida Heatter's recipes and I made her Best Damn Lemoncake, Triple Threat Cheesecake , and Emilio's cheesecake. The first two are old favorites and the latter a new and wonderful addition to my repertoire.

It has been wonderful having a farmer's market on the square. I got some lovely watermelon and some amazing blueberries (Check out Happyberry)
Well, I should probably try to rest, if not sleep, before the kids get up in an hour or so.

1 comment:

Nancy Hellams said...

I am enjoying your blog and think it is neat that you mentioned the Farmers Mkt on the square.