On Wednesdays for a while I have been reading stories in the Garden. My audience is young children and their parents. I love these books and hope that other (older) people would too, but they are often scared away by the chaos of toddlers and young kids! Yesterday I had abut 7 families which includes 7 adults and two children each. The younger siblings provide much exercise to the mothers. It's fun as I read to watch them migrate all over the space- hunting bugs, looking at flowers and exploring by themselves - until they go too far and are brought back the beginning. I focus on stories about nature and particularly like folk tales from all around the world. Yesterday I read a very small book about a dog and tree and its inhabitants, an African rhyming book, and the widemouthed frog. We took a break in the middle to stretch and look at the Ethnobotany Garden - I love the Fullers Teasel, the leaves are formed so they form small basins up the stem which fill up with water when it rains.
It was crazy but I think most everyone enjoyed the time. It was sunny, coolish and in the botanical garden - how could it miss!!
No comments:
Post a Comment