Sunday, November 22, 2009

Full Saturday

Saturday was a wonderfully full and celebratory day. Every third Saturday of the month there is a festival/gathering at Haygood Mill - about 3 miles north of Pickens. Map
This weekend was a celebration of Native Americans at the Mill. Selugadu: the cornbread festival featured Cherokee dancing, drumming, song and storytelling in honor of Native American Heritage Month, hosted by SC's Reedy River Intertribal Association. The children were thrilled to see people in traditional clothing. Our visit began with a dance honoring veterans - in which the Sagan (head-man) invited all veterans to come to the circle and dance. A couple of men joined the circle, and then a woman. Then some women from different tribes danced- their clothes reflected the historical changes from buckskin to cloth, and finally one young girl who was a"Fancy Dancer".
We missed much - we could only spare an hour an a half but it was a fabulous time. We saw horses descended from the original Spanish horses brought to the Americas- the kids were allowed to paint the horses with their handprints. Our kids didn't want ,but I got to press purple hands on the golden soft sides of a beautiful animal.
After studying southern history for over half my life I finally got to see a Cotton Gin in operation. I can't convey how fabulous this experience was for me. The huge leather belts, loud clanking and sight of the seeds popping out of the boll just like they're supposed to was fantastic! After that we checked out the moonshine still, and mill. Both children were enthralled by the man demonstrating weaponry - no one has mentioned having a bow yet, but I'm sure it will happen.
In the afternoon we celebrated a friends 8 birthday in the lovely sunshine - then a quick nap and the kids went off to a sleep over. Hubby (STD - Silver Tongued Devil- how unfortunate for an acronym !!!)and I unexpectedly go to got to Nami our favorite restaurant. Now I'm sitting in bed - listening to a crazy puzzler on the radio ...
life is good!

No comments: